Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Documentary

The documentary shown in class on Tuesday told the story of Corey Booker, a city councilman in Newark, New Jersey, and his campaign to become mayor. It told the back story of the campaign and portrayed what outsiders could not see during the process. I found it interesting to say the least. It was like "watching" a news story. What I mean by that is that it was as if someone took a newspaper article or feature story and turned it into an onscreen movie.

Although I don't really have much to say about the documentary itself, I do consider it to now be a form of journalism while I was skeptical going into the showing. As I said before, it's really just a live action feature story.

I enjoyed Corey's "choir boy" campaign, even though it had major downside with the voters rallying around the fact that he came from money and didn't know what it was like in the streets. It was better than all of the attacking adds from today's election where nothing is actually conveyed about what the candidate will do and it's just talking bad about what the other guy is trying to do. I liked his quote "make government officials live in the worst neighborhoods of the city and it will change faster." I would like to see this happen to find out if it would actually work.

No comments:

Post a Comment